Connecting People with Executive Opportunities
Position: Service Manager
Reports to: Dealer Principal
Company: Large Import Automobile Dealership
Location: Greater Edmonton Area (Alberta)
Date: May, 2021
Our client, a leading import automobile retailer in East Edmonton, is seeking a highly capable Service Manager driven by performance-based compensation along with a passion for customer satisfaction who will oversee all service operations including front-end service staff, technicians, apprentices and detailers.
- Forecasts goals and objectives for the department and strives to meet them.
- Prepares and administers an annual operating budget for the service department.
- Ensures that all customers are given fair estimates on costs and time required for repairs and maintenance.
- Develops and implements a marketing plan that promotes new and repeat business.
- Monitors and controls the performance of the department using appropriate reports, metrics, KPI’s, tracking systems and surveys.
- Understands and ensures compliance with manufacturer warranty and policy procedures.
- Monitors warranty repair orders for sales and hours relative to expectations.
- Prepares pricing guides and maintenance menus for frequent labor operations.
- Directs and schedules the activities of all department employees.
- Maintains high-quality service repairs and minimizes comebacks.
- Conducts periodic spot checks of completed jobs for thoroughness and quality.
- Understands, keeps abreast of and complies with provincial and local regulations that affect service operations, such as hazardous waste disposal, WCB, Right-to-Know, etc.
- Monitors technicians’ daily productivity reports and corresponding payroll records.
- Facilitates and/or conducts technical training and sends employees to appropriate training schools as needed.
- Monitors and follows up on parts orders with the Parts Manager to ensure availability.
- Ensures the proper care, storage and inventory of special tools.
- Keeps abreast of new equipment and tools available and recommends purchases.
- Informs repair technicians of time allowances on each repair order.
- Maintains a safe working environment.
- Hires, trains, motivates, counsels and monitors the performance of all service department staff.
- Strives for harmony and teamwork within the department and with all other departments.
- Handles customer complaints immediately and according to dealership guidelines.
- Serves as liaison with factory representatives.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with vocational and technical schools to enhance personnel recruitment activities.
- Establishes and maintains follow-up with all customers to confirm satisfaction with the service experience and maintains good working relationships to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Holds weekly department meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance and ensures that work areas and customer waiting areas are kept clean.
Qualifications / Required Skills
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience immersed in a retail automotive service environment as a Service Manager or in a related capacity and has:
- a solid grasp of the various metrics and KPI’s commonly used in a service operation (including ELR, Hr/RO, facility utilization, net profit, customer retention, etc.).
- an understanding of the impact these metrics and KPI’s have on financial statements and overall customer satisfaction.
- the capability of achieving net profit targets on a consistent basis while achieving excellent customer satisfaction ratings.
- participated in performance groups and/or regularly seeks out and implements best practices.
- the ability to develop and implement improvement plans based on ongoing analysis and review of performance indicators and root cause analysis.
- You have a proven and natural ability to mentor and lead team members in a manner that is both effective and supportive and you work well with all employees, managers and senior leadership.
- You are effective at establishing and maintaining good working relationships with customers as required to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Equal employment opportunity.
- Competitive pay.
- Health Benefits (after 90-day probationary period).
- A safe, professional and dynamic work environment.
- Flexible hours offered to some degree with a preference of 8-5 Monday – Friday.