Connecting People with Executive Opportunities
Reports to: Operations Manager / Dealer Principal
Company: Automotive Dealership
Location: GTA – West
Date: August 2023
Our client, a successful dealership located west of the GTA is seeking a highly capable Controller to provide financial leadership and direction.
Working directly with and reporting to the owner, the ideal candidate will not only know and understand the retail automobile business from an accounting and control perspective but also from a management perspective.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- oversee all accounting activities and cycles, including revenues/receivables/receipts and purchases/payables/payments, treasury, payroll, compliance and related processes.
- monitor the company’s financial direction, policies, accounting practices.
- work with the dealership management team; provide insights and feedback to ensure exceptional financial results while minimizing risk and exposure.
- manage relationships with external stakeholders such as lending institutions, shareholders, external accountants, taxation authorities and others.
- maintain ownership of general ledger and trial balance, including schedules and related entries, ensuring information within the system agrees to supporting documents and external sources.
- develop, maintain, manage and analyze financial statements, payroll, budgets and tax compliance issues.
- prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting packages and manage year-end reporting processes.
- maintain and enhance cash management processes and systems to ensure strong liquidity.
- champion internal processes and procedure improvements and maintain documentation to that effect.
- develop, motivate and supervise accounting team members.
Required Skills / Qualifications:
Ideal candidates will have a strong background and proven experience in managing the finance/accounting operation and department, including:
- ideally, you have 2-5 years of experience as a Controller (or Assistant Controller) in an automotive dealership environment (or willingness to learn quickly).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or equivalent, with strong technical accounting skills and understanding of accounting guidelines (CPA is an asset but not mandatory).
- knowledge of financial and accounting practices (including GAAP).
- knowledge and understanding of related federal, provincial and local regulations and laws as they relate to the retail automotive sector.
- proficiency with ERP systems (PBS) and payroll management programs (Ceridian).
- demonstrated abilities using MS Office with advanced-level proficiency in Excel.
- demonstrated desire to continuously develop new skills, take on new challenges and actively seek out opportunities for improvement.
- experience leading and supervising Team Members.
- strong ability to communicate professionally (verbal and written).
- proven ability to influence change and effectively lead projects.
- change champion with the ability to bring new ideas, a fresh perspective and a sense of urgency to drive accounting and operational improvements.
- ability to adapt to a changing environment and meet deadlines with acute attentionnto detail.
- proven ability to maintain and improve internal controls.
- ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
- ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment.
- self-motivated and driven with a passion for excellence.
- a desire to work in a high energy, fast-paced environment.