Connecting People with Executive Opportunities
Reports to: Dealer Principal
Company: Large Import Automobile Dealership
Location: Greater Edmonton Area (Alberta)
Date: November 2020
The Controller will handle high-level accounting, managerial accounting, and oversee the financial activities of the dealership and its affiliates. As head of the accounting department, the Controller will manage and supervise all aspects of accounting from payroll to tax compliance. Reporting to the owners and General Manager of the dealership, the Controller will assist with the development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed.
While we are looking for someone to lead, delegate, and manage the accounting office, we also need a hard-working, ‘roll up your sleeves’, hands-on type of leader.
Primary & Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of accounting including: billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special projects.
- Preparation & submission of all internal and external financial statements.
- Maintain documented system of accounting policies and operations.
- Oversee payments of all accounts and ensuring all accounts are paid on time.
- Process accounts and collecting payments.
- Oversee all payments made for debts, bank loans, and all other large disbursements.
- Monitor cash and funding balances.
- Keep an organized filing system of all accounts, statements, transactions, payments, and debts.
- Prepare and organize financial statements for record and review.
- Prepare quarterly/annual financial reports.
- Manage monthly, quarterly, and annual budgets and forecasts.
- Advise on financial analyses and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, significant costs, benchmarks, and other matters with management.
- Organize information and statements for audits and both internal and external auditors.
- Define, benchmark and implement operational best practices.
- Complying with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting.
- Ensuring company complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for the overall accuracy and reconciliation of accounting data.
- Additional duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration with an emphasis in Accounting or a related field.
- Ideal candidate has 5 to 10 years of experience in field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license preferred.
- Previous experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor, or manager in the automotive industry.
- Excellent computer skills; experience in CDK DMS and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency with accounting software and experience with a software system implementation.
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and applicable regulations.
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members.
- Equal employment opportunity
- Competitive pay
- Health Benefits (after 90-day probationary period)
- A safe, professional and dynamic work environment
- Flexible hours offered to some degree with a preference of 8-5 Monday – Friday