Connecting People with Executive Opportunities
Regional Maintenance Manager & General Manager
National Express/Stock Transportation
The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for hands-on day to day supervision of a local maintenance facility. Maintenance Supervisors oversee and participate in the preventive maintenance and the repair of the buses used to provide service to NEC customers in the service area associated with the maintenance facility. They have operating responsibility for operations of the local maintenance facility and the staff which works in it. They implement maintenance standard operating procedures on the local level, and ensure that maintenance staff follows them in carrying out their duties. They oversee the daily upkeep of the maintenance facility, any offices associated with it, and the parking lots (local and satellite) served by this maintenance facility.
- Maintain the maintenance shop and its associated facilities in a state of operational readiness during its scheduled working hours.
- Oversee (and participate in when appropriate) the day to day upkeep and repair of the shop and its equipment.
- Participate in the annual planning, budgeting and resourcing activities for this maintenance facility under the guidance and direction of the appropriate Regional Maintenance Coordinator.
- Oversee the upkeep and operating maintenance of local offices located in or close to this maintenance facility, and offices in satellite locations served by this maintenance facility.
- Oversee (and personally comply with) the local implementation of NEC maintenance and safety standard operating procedures in this maintenance facility, ensuring that local maintenance staff follow them, and comply with all locally applicable public authority legislation, regulation and standards.
- Oversee the local use of NEC’s EAM (Enterprise Asset Management) ERP application, and maintenance facility staff to record and to track local maintenance work orders and local parts inventory. (This includes using this application personally.)
- Oversee the parts inventory maintained and used in this maintenance facility.
- Ensure that the staff comply with EAM withdrawal, usage tracking and restocking procedures for the local parts inventory. (This includes doing so personally when appropriate.)
- Participate in the local inventory requirements and replenishing planning process under the direction and guidance of the Regional Maintenance Coordinator.
- Oversee (and participate in when appropriate) the work needed to implement preventive maintenance for the vehicles serviced by this maintenance facility.
- Oversee (and participate in when appropriate) the work needed to complete “unscheduled repairs” to the vehicles services by this maintenance facility.
- Represent the maintenance activity at the local level in its interaction, communication and coordination of activities with other local operations functions: driver care, route operations, and customer care.
- Supervise the maintenance staff at this maintenance facility.
Knowledge & Qualifications:
- Coach each maintenance staff member on those aspects of their performance where improvement will increase the quality and the volume of their contribution to NEC.
- Participate in the recruiting activities undertaken by the shared services recruiting center when it is necessary to recruit maintenance staff for this maintenance facility.
- Carry out the informal and formal performance feedback and evaluation activities for the maintenance staff at this facility.
- Intervene directly and personally when immediate disruptive behavior on the part of maintenance staff at this facility is likely to have an immediate negative impact on other staff, on passengers or customer personnel or on the safety of passengers.
- Dialog with the Regional Maintenance Coordinator about disruptive or non-productive patterns of behavior on the part of maintenance staff, which although they do have an immediate negative impact, have adverse impacts on NEC service commitments or operations. Take appropriate action to address these patterns after such dialog, under the guidance and the direction of the Regional Maintenance Coordinator.
- Demonstrated at least 3 years as an empowering leader in a dynamic, fast-paced, hands-on environment.
- Ability to evaluate alternatives in order to make best overall value decisions based on considering cost, customer expectations, driver needs and other factors.
- Possession of the required certification for the assigned location by a recognized certifying agency (e.g. Certification by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) testing program to attain Master School Bus Technician standards within two years after employment, possession of a Red Seal endorsed interprovincial certificate as certified journeyman, Ontario Truck and Coach certification (310T) etc).
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply legislation, regulations and standards applicable to the assigned location (e.g. Federal, State, Provincial, local).
- Thorough knowledge of the practices, techniques, procedures, materials and appropriate use and maintenance of special tools and electronic test equipment commonly used in the diagnosis, repair, preventative maintenance and modification of vehicle maintenance to prescribe procedures, methods and materials to assigned staff on complex repairs/projects.
- Knowledge of current technology used in the repair and diagnosis of vehicles, equipment and their component systems.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including handling of hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of supervisory and training techniques and methods with demonstrated experience successfully supervising and training Technicians.
- Knowledge of NEC vision, values, structure, programs and service promise and relevant policies, procedures and practices to support NEC goals and objectives and coordinate appropriately with other business units.
- Significant automotive or truck technical repair and preventive maintenance experience.
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Commitment to and successful experience with coaching and developing others.
- Experience with or aptitude for maintenance scheduling, parts management, basic computer operation and the fundamentals of vehicle maintenance