Position: Maintenance Supervisor
Reports to: Regional Maintenance Manager – Canada
Company: National Express/Stock Transportation
Location: Halifax/Dartmouth, NS.
Date Posted: March 2017
National Express LLC (NELLC) is the North American subsidiary of National Express Group, PLC, one of the premier transportation firms in the UK, USA and operates as Stock Transportation in Canada. NELLC’s home to school companies operate more than 21,500 school buses, serve more than 500 school districts in 36 states and four provinces and transport over 1.2 million passengers on a daily basis. Transit operations transport more than 16,000,000 passengers annually with more than 1,200 vehicles.
Purpose of the Position:
The Maintenance Supervisor manages the operations and performance of Licensed Red Seal Technicians, Bus Truck & Coach Apprentices, and Maintenance Administrators. This role oversees, diagnoses and repairs Stock Transportation vehicles in order to accomplish results and meet business objectives. This position is also responsible for meeting customer expectations while balancing financial, operating, quality, safety and asset targets. Progress is measured against the requirements of the business through leadership competencies and business metrics.
- Direct communication with Area/Region Maintenance Manager on technical and shop management functions.
- Direct communication through daily huddles at the M2M (Maintenance to Maintenance) board with all CSC stakeholders including the General Managers to discuss the Work Plan and Fleet availability
- Provides hands-on day-to-day supervision of the coordination, scheduling and auditing of preventative, electrical and mechanical maintenance repairs for our Stock school buses in a specific Customer Service Center (CSC).
- Supervises the upkeep and operating maintenance of local offices located in or close to this maintenance facility, and offices in satellite locations served by this maintenance facility.
- Oversees the maintenance shop and its associated facilities to ensure operational readiness during scheduled working hours.
- Confirms all vehicles are safe, reliable, properly maintained and available when needed.
- Directs and completes work needed to implement preventive maintenance and unscheduled repairs for the vehicles serviced by this maintenance facility.
- Implements and ensures use of NELLC maintenance and safety standard operating procedures and complies with all locally applicable public authority legislation, regulation and standards.
- Hires, trains and develops maintenance staff to ensure technicians are highly skilled and able to meet customer expectations.
- Participates in recruiting activities when necessary to ensure the facility is fully staffed with qualified technicians.
- Communicates with AMM/RMM regarding informal and formal performance feedback and evaluations for the maintenance staff.
- Communicates with AMM/RMM regarding performance concerns for maintenance staff.
- Maintains and supports a safe work environment through good housekeeping safety awareness training and employee involvement.
- Optimizes maintenance cycle time and ensures that the shop meets or exceeds customer requirements.
- Ensures the use of the EAM (Enterprise Asset Management) ERP application along with recording and tracking local maintenance work orders and local parts inventory.
- Monitor PM Compliance daily to meet company objective.
- Monitors the parts inventory used in the facility by ensuring compliance with EAM
- withdrawal, usage tracking and restocking procedures.
- Ensure the Parts Inventory is charged out on each Work Order to relieve the Inventory value accordingly.
- Ensure that Technician working hours are charged out on Work Orders.
- Complies with the replenishing planning process under the direction and guidance of the Regional Maintenance Manager and the Procurement Team in Warrenville.
- Schedules, plans and leads training meetings for technicians, operations staff and drivers on vehicle updates, new equipment and processes to assure optimal operational performance.
- Ensures quality metrics within the shop including quality of repair and shop cleanliness.
- Maintains relevant documentation required to meet and/or exceed local, state, federal, as well as customer requirements.
- Completes required audits as assigned.
- Participates in the annual planning, budgeting and resourcing activities for this maintenance facility under the guidance and direction of the Area Maintenance Manager and Regional Maintenance Manager.
- Daily updates to the M2M Board
- Daily updates and reporting to the AMM/RMM of LTOS, OOS, PD, Surplus, and Scrap buses
- Responsible for Technician payroll review and entry into Compass MX Swipe
- Responsible for budget development, cost control, reporting, commitment of significant funds; accounts payable/receivable management, acquisition/maintenance of computers, systems and equipment.
- Prepares, completes and submits reports paperwork and invoices on time and correctly on vehicle maintenance.
- Responsible for tracking and accounting for warranty repair work.
- Basic computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment.
- 310S and/or 310T Red Seal Qualified Technician License or equivalent Journeyperson Accreditation
- Six Sigma understanding and ability to promote this program.
- Ability to pull data from reporting systems for analysis and decision making.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply legislation, regulations and standards applicable to the assigned location (e.g. Provincial, MTO, local).
- Knowledge of supervisory and training techniques and methods with demonstrated experience successfully supervising and training Technicians.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including handling of hazardous materials.
- Capacity to understand labor, financial, operating, quality, safety and asset processes/metrics.
- Strong Sense of SAFETY and the ability to demonstrate and Lead by example
- Strong sense of personal accountability and a proven track record of achieving desired results
- Commitment to a safe work environment, quality execution, and customer service as evidenced by previous experience and performance track record.
- Demonstrated customer service focus, work flow analysis and management skills.
- Ability to solve operational problems with minimal assistance.
- Capacity to evaluate alternatives in order to make best overall value decisions based on considering cost, customer expectations, driver needs and other factors.
- Ability to coach and develop others.