Connecting People with Executive Opportunities
Position: Area General Manager
Reports to: Regional Manager, Eastern Canada
Company: Stock Transportation
Location: Halifax, NS
Date: December 2018
As an Area General Manager, your focus will be on planning, developing and implementing a strategy for meeting organizational performance plans and on regularly monitoring business results to ensure the region is meeting all goals, objectives and contractual responsibilities.
- Development of the operations organization to support delivery of the key objectives; drive high levels of accountability, ensuring strong performance management, skills development and succession planning.
- Coaching and advising General Managers on all business issues, ensuring process, policy and initiative compliance; ensuring business tools are being used.
- Working with General Managers to ensure consistent implementation of safety processes and policies along with the development of safety improvement plans.
- Reviewing financial statements for the region, analyzing them, and developing action plans to address deficiencies.
- Ensuring the region has a solid business plan and budget.
- Working with Managers to make sure they know how to read and interpret relevant financial statements.
- Building and maintaining strong business relationships with identified customer base.
- Ensuring Managers have significant customer relationships.
- Identifying growth opportunities and working collaboratively with Business Development.
- Identifying and Interpreting the meaning of the industry trends for the region team.
- Confirming Managers have coaching plans and coaching notes for the members of the CSC staff.
- Working with Managers to make sure employee relations plans are in place and well executed.
- Reviewing talent management plans; ensuring that talent within the area is identified and developed.
- Ensuring organization makes connections within the communities in which we operate.
- Promoting positive community relations with external stakeholders.
- Spending company resources wisely
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a focus on Business Management, Accounting or Economics preferred.
- 10 -12 years of experience in an operations management role and 5 or more years in a senior manager role.
- Experience supporting multiple sites/branches/locations; ability to provide guidance and management from a remote location.
- Proven leadership ability, industry-specific knowledge gained through experience.
- Strong negotiation skills and techniques.
- Desire to coach and mentor others.
- Financial acumen and knowledge of economic theory.
- Practical application of marketing and sales theory and principles.
- Comprehensive understanding of labor and employment practices law.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and accounting-based systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills with an attention to detail.
- Creative, innovative, and flexible mindset.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Well-developed time management skills.
- Utmost professionalism, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Must have the ability to travel up to 50%.